The answers to a who didn’t sing it quiz. If you’ve not done it yet, and want to, head over to that page before reading on.
1. Which Queen song was not scheduled to be released as a single until DJ Kenny Everett obtained an early pressing and played it 14 times in two days, generating a massive demand for the song?
2. Artist and Song?
Dexys Midnight Runners – There There My Dear
3. Which song did former astronaut Chris Hadfield sing when aboard the International Space Station in 2013?
4. Artist and Song?
Green Day – Basket Case
5. Which song did John Denver write in 1973 as an ode to his then wife in ten-and-a-half minutes one day on a ski lift?
6. Artist and Song?
New Order – Ceremony
7. Which war novel, by American author Stephen Crane, takes place during the American Civil War and is about a young private of the Union Army, Henry Fleming, who flees from the field of battle?
Red Badge Of Courage
8. Artist and Song?
Coldplay – Viva La Vida
9. Which Sheffield drinking establishment can be found at 23 Trippet Lane and, when open, hosts Saturday afternoon Northern Soul days.
10. Artist and Song?
Radiohead – Street Spirit
11. What is the colloquial name of the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge in New York City, due to where its Manhattan end is located?
The 59th Street Bridge
12. Artist and Song?
The Who – Baba O’Riley
13. Which film starred Sean Connery as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond, Honor Blackman as Bond girl Pussy Galore and Gert Fröbe as the title character?
14. Artist and Song?
Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit
15. Who was King of England and Lord of Ireland from 1483 until his death in 1485, being the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty?
16. Artist and Song?
Black Sabbath – Paranoid
17. Which American actor, film director, composer, and producer first achieved success in a TV Western and rose to international fame with his role as the “Man with No Name”?
18. Artist and Song?
Cat Stevens – Father and Son
19. Which character in Lewis Carroll’s 1865 book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland appears at the very beginning of the book wearing a waistcoat, and muttering “Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!?
20. Artist and Song?
Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues
Bonus: What links the answers?
They are all songs whose title does not appear in the lyrics.
For odd numbered questions, the songs are:
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- David Bowie – Space Oddity
- John Denver – Annie’s Song
- Badge – Cream
- Maggie May – Rod Stewart
- The 59th Bridge Street Song – Simon & Garfunkel
- Goldfinger – Ash
- Richard III – Supergrass
- Clint Eastwood – Gorillaz
- White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane