The answers to a foodies quiz. If you’ve not done it yet, and want to, head over to that page before reading on.
1. Which English actress, born in 1932, is best known for her role as Sybil, Basil’s wife, in Fawlty Towers and her BAFTA award-nominated role as Queen Elizabeth II in A Question of Attribution by Alan Bennett.
2. Who was the only surviving legitimate child of King James V who acceded to the throne in 1542, aged 6?
Mary Queen of Scots
3. What name was given to the 1960s subculture that included art, music, clothes and use of hallucinogenic drugs?
4. Who did Julie jilt John for?
5. Which member of comedy trio The Goodies opened the pilot episode of the BBC radio comedy panel game I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue with Jo Kendall singing the words of Three Blind Mice to the tune of Ol’ Man River?
6. What was originally a two or three-wheeled passenger cart which is generally pulled by one man carrying one passenger?
7. Which ventriloquist’s act included the puppets Orville the Duck and Cuddles the Monkey?
8. In the TV programme and film The Magic Roundabout, who is the operator of the roundabout – the only character to be voiced by the same actor in both the TV show and film?
9. Which ex-Sheffield Wednesday and Stocksbridge park Steels footballer holds record for the most scoring in consecutive matches (11)?
10. Which building has been a residence of the British Royal Family since the 17th century, and is currently the official London residence of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and other lesser royals?
11. Name this Scottish duo and the song they are singing?
The Proclaimers, Sunshine On Leith
12. In the children’s nursery rhyme, what did we go round on a cold and frosty morning?
13. What’s the name of the band singing this 1986 song that reach number 26 in the UK charts?
The Smiths (Bigmoth Strikes Again)
14. Which British politician was the first Labour Party member to become Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, leading minority Labour governments for nine months in 1924 and then from 1929–1931?
15. Who is the lead singer of this 1985 hit that also featured in the film The Breakfast Club, helping it to the number 1 spot in the US?
Jim Kerr (from Simple Minds)
16. What Gothic novel was first published in 1818 and was written by the daughter of proto-feminist Mary Wollstonecraft?
17. Name the band and song in this early video which is somewhat less polished than their later works?
Pink Floyd, See Emily Play
18. Which County Durham new town was founded in 1948 and named after a celebrated Durham miners’ leader and, as such, is one of the few places in the British Isles to be directly named after an individual?
Peterlee (named after Peter Lee)
19. Name the artist and song?
Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Oliver’s Army
20. On the internet, what is the introductory page of a website, typically serving as a table of contents for the site, commonly called?
Putting together answers from questions 1-10 with 11-20, we get 10 famous chefs:
- Prue Leith
- Mary Berry
- Delia Smith
- Gordon Ramsey
- Graham Kerr
- Rick Stein
- Keith Floyd
- Rusty Lee
- Jamie Oliver
- Ken Hom