It’s Sunday, week 12 of Lockdown 3! As usual, no Fagan’s theme quiz!
This week we’ve been mostly having our eyes tested and switching to varifocal contact lenses – who knew how good they are – should have switched years ago!
It’s a quiz of 20 themed questions – clue in the title.
There’s may be “sound-a-likes” or embedded words.
The use of electronic devices to divine the answers, with the exception of hearing aids and pacemakers, is forbidden.
1. Which actor, comedian and TV presenter played Bryn West in the TV sitcom Gavin & Stacey and has presented the comedy panel show Would I Lie to You since 2009?
2. Which English comedian, broadcaster, presenter, actress, and writer originally came to prominence through her comedy partnership with Mel Giedroyc and has since become best known as a radio broadcaster and television presenter, notably of The Great British Bake Off?
3. Which political journalist and broadcaster was a regular fixture on BBC election night programmes in the 1960s, 70s and 80s and chaired Question Time, employing an incisive and sometimes abrasive interviewing style?
4. Which English writer and humorist whose work encompasses novels, plays and works of journalism is best known for creating the character Adrian Mole?
5. What is the type of is physical exercise of low to high intensity that combines rhythmic exercise with strength training and stretching and depends primarily on the use of oxygen to adequately meet energy demands?
6. What popular Greek fast food consists of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer, is usually eaten straight off the skewer while still hot and can be served with Pita bread, fried potatoes, lemon, and sauces, but is eaten on its own, with the side dishes eaten subsequently?
7. Of the seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis, which one was published first but is actually the second if ordered chronologically by the dates the stories are set?
8. At 399.94 metres and one of the longest of its type in the world, where, currently, is the Ever Given?
9. Who is this band and which song, that did not appear on any of their studio albums, are they playing?
10. Which car manufacturer has current models named Forester, Legacy and Outback, previous models named Dias Wagon, Justy, Stella and participated in motorsports World Rally Championship until 2008?
11. Who is the Zimbabwean international footballer who played most prominently for Liverpool between 1981 and 1994 who was known for his gymnastic-like athletic ability, unflappable confidence and eccentric and flamboyant style of play?
12. What is a logic-based, combinatorial number-placement puzzle, in the classic version, the objective is to fill a 9×9 grid with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 sub-grids that compose the grid contain all of the digits from 1 to 9?
13. What animal is this, named after its unusually large nose, it is endemic to the south-east Asian island of Borneo and is found mostly in mangrove forests and on the coastal areas of the island?
14. What type of leather is finished with a fine velvet-like nap, usually on the flesh side of the skin or hide, produced by abrasive action or is the name of this popular beat combo responsible for songs such as Animal Nitrate, Stay Together and Trash?
15. Who was the first king of the northern Kingdom of Israel and also a wine bottle that is 4 or 6 times larger than a standard bottle?
16. Which 1933 comedy film written starred the Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo Marx, was the last to feature Zeppo and features the infamous mirror scene?
17. Which 2004 movie starring Will Smith was loosely based on Isaac Asimov’s 1950 short-story collection of the same name?
18. What is the raw, hard fat of beef or mutton found around the loins and kidneys used to make types of sweet and savoury puddings?
19. What type of brewery produces small amounts of beer – fewer than 385,000 gallons annually – and is often independently owned?
20. Who played a rebellious teenager in Grange Hill and a single mother in Eastenders with a brother played by former Grange Hill actor Todd Carty?