The answers to a last* ever** quiz. If you’ve not done it yet, and want to, head over to that page before reading on.
1. What mechanical form is shaped like a human foot and is used by shoemakers and cordwainers in the manufacture and repair of shoes?
2. Which British sitcom by Roy Clarke was originally broadcast from 1973 to 2010 and centred on a trio of old men and their youthful misadventures?
Last of the Summer Wine
3. Which 1988 film’s final sequence depicts the crucified Jesus — tempted by what turns out to be Satan in the form of a beautiful child — experiencing a dream where he comes down from the cross, marries Mary Magdalene and lives out his life as a full mortal man?
The Last Temptation of Christ
4. Which popular beat combo released this single in 1969, it being the first “solo” single issued by John Lennon, released while he was still a member of the Beatles?
Plastic Ono Band
5. What term is used to refer to the moment when a spacecraft leaves the ground?
6. With which 1987 Channel 4 chat show did Jonathan Ross debut as a television presenter?
The Last Resort (with Jonathan Ross)
7. What is the name of the Sheffield comedy club that started at The Lescar pub in 1992 and has seen comedians such as Peter Kay, Jimmy Carr, Dara O Briain, Johnny Vegas and Al Murray?
The (Little) Last Laugh
8. Who is this popular beat combo and what is title of their 1966 debut single that they are singing here?
The Monkees – Last Train to Clarksville
9. If you find yourself in a difficult situation in which there is only one final way to put it right, where might you be said to be drinking?
The Last Chance Saloon
10. Which legal document expresses a person’s wishes as to how their property is to be distributed after their death and as to which person is to manage the property until its final distribution?
Last Will and Testament
11. Also called an adhesive bandage, what 1901 invention is a small medical dressing used for injuries not serious enough to require a full-size bandage?
12. Which is the third instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise that stars Sean Connery as Jones’ father?
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
13. How is the operation of forcibly propelling a stream of abrasive material against a surface under high pressure to smooth a rough surface, roughen a smooth surface, shape a surface or remove surface contaminants commonly known?
14. What phrase is widely used in the telecommunications, cable television and internet industries to refer to the final leg of the telecommunications networks that deliver telecommunication services to retail end-users?
15. What is the ability of a body to resist a distorting influence and to return to its original size and shape when that influence or force is removed?
16. What was the title of one-hit wonders Indeep’s 1983 single?
Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
17. Known to the Lakota and other Plains Indians as the Battle of the Greasy Grass, how is this battle – which resulted in the defeat of U.S. forces and was the most significant action of the Great Sioux War of 1876 – more commonly known?
Custer’s Last Stand
18. “I’m going to the bathroom to read” – Elvis Presley (1977), “Hallo, the bow is up… I’m going… I’m on my back… I’ve gone. Oh.”, Donald Campbell (1967) and “Tomorrow at sunrise I shall no longer be here”, Nostradamus (1566) are all examples of what?
(Famous) Last words
19. Upon its initial release in 1984, which song spent five consecutive weeks at number two in the UK Singles Chart, held off the top spot by Band Aid’s Do They Know It’s Christmas?? Described as a “high watermark of mid-80s British synthpop songcraft”, it finally reached number-one in the UK Singles Chart on New Year’s Day 2021.
20. Which 1996 novel and 2001 film tells the convoluted story of the relationships between a group of war veterans and their journey from Bermondsey to Margate to scatter the ashes of Jack Dodds into the sea and is also the most feared words a pub landlord can shout?
21. What is the name of this song, the only single from the album Love Bites by Bolton popular beat combo The Buzzcocks?
Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)
22. What is the subtropical wetland area of southern Florida noted for its wildlife, especially crocodiles, alligators, and egrets and with an ecosystem not presently found anywhere else on earth?
23. What is the fictional island featured in the works of J.M. Barrie whose best-known resident famously refused to grow up?
24. What was the name of the container ship that ran aground after losing the ability to steer amid high winds and a dust storm and obstructed the Suez Canal in March this year?
25. Who are the local lads that include “Big” Sean Doane on vocals and Pete McKee and Toby Foster on Ukulele whose songs parody popular tunes of the day with updated lyrics?
Everly Pregnant Brothers
26. What was the name of the documentary series that aired on BBC One in a late-night slot on Sunday evenings between 1977 and 2000, its subject matter tended to be focused on moral and religious issues, often in the form of a film in which individuals would discuss their thoughts?
27. What term is used to describe a young hare, usually less than one year old?
28. What type of common bicycle brake consists of two arms, each attached to a separate pivot point on one side of the seat stay or fork?
29. What fish has nine species, are up to 37 cm long, mainly brown in colour, have venomous spines on their first dorsal fin and gills and during the day bury themselves in sand as means to catch their prey (and on one occasion, poison the quiz setter whilst bodyboarding)?
30. Which song was originally recorded by American R&B singer Little Willie John but has been covered by numerous artists, most notably Peggy Lee, whose 1958 rendition became the most widely known version and the singer’s signature song?
Simple theme this week, as you have probably worked out. Answers 1-20 all have the word last in them whilst answers 21-30 all contain ever.