The answers to a just can’t get enough quiz. If you’ve not done it yet, and want to, head over to that page before reading on.
1. Name the artist and song?
Petula Clark – Downtown
2. Which Beach Boys songs was covered for the BBC launch of the BBC Music brand in 2014, featured an assortment of artist including Elton John, Kylie Minogue, Stevie Wonder, Brian May as well as Brian Wilson and was released as a charity single for Children In Need?
God Only Knows
3. Name the artist and song?
The Kinks – Waterloo Sunset
4. What is a sucrose sugar product with a distinctive brown colour due to the presence of molasses or a slang term for heroin?
5. Name the artist and song?
T.Rex – Ride A White Swan
6. In which 1999 comedy movie do four high school friends try every trick in the book to ensure that they lose their virginity before prom night?
7. Name the artist and song?
The Osmonds – Crazy Horses
8. Which song is played at traditional events such as Wimbledon and The Proms, is one of New Zealand’s two national anthems and whose author is unknown, although attribution to the composer John Bull is sometimes made?
God Save the Queen
9. Name the artist and song?
Sparks – This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us
10. Who was the Russian mystic and self-proclaimed holy man who befriended the family of Nicholas II, the last emperor of Russia, and gained considerable influence in late imperial Russia?
11. Name the artist and song?
Squeeze – Up The Junction
12. Which one of the nine Austrian states is also a city that, until the beginning of the 20th century, was the largest German speaking city in the world?
13. Name the artist and song?
Heaven 17 – Temptation
14. Which 1974 movie starring Roger Moore as a manager of a South African mine shares its name with both a UK radio station and a UK TV station?
15. Name the artist and song?
Pet Shop Boys/Dusty Springfield – What Have I Done To Deserve This
16. Romanian Nadia Comăneci is generally recognized as the first person to score what at the Olympic Games?
A perfect 10
17. Name the artist and song?
The B-52’s – Love Shack
18. In 1687 Sir Isaac Newton’s Principia included a computation for what, the answer to the computation being “979 feet per second in air”?
Speed of sound
19. Name the artist and song?
Manic Street Preachers – A Design For Life
20. Which English television and radio presenter is best known as a presenter of the popular children’s series Blue Peter from 1962 to 1972 and also also presented the BBC Radio 4 PM programme?
Bonus: What connects all the answers?
They are all songs that peaked at number 2 in the UK singles charts, literally, they just couldn’t get enough sales. The full list is:
- Petula Clark – Downtown (1964)
- Beach Boys – God Only Knows (1966)
- The Kinks – Waterloo Sunset (1967)
- The Rolling Stones – Brown Sugar (1971)
- T.Rex – Ride A White Swan (1970)
- Don McLean – American Pie (1972)
- The Osmonds – Crazy Horses (1972)
- The Sex Pistols – God Save The Queen (1977)
- Sparks – This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us (1974)
- Boney M – Rasputin (1978)
- Squeeze – Up The Junction (1979)
- Ultravox – Vienna (1981)
- Heaven 17 – Temptation (1983)
- Spandau Ballet – Gold (1983)
- Pet Shop Boys/Dusty Springfield – What Have I Done To Deserve This (1987)
- Beautiful South – Perfect 10 (1998)
- The B-52’s – Love Shack (1990)
- Coldplay – Speed Of Sound (2005)
- Manic Street Preachers – A Design For Life (1996)
- Valerie – Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse (2007)